FULL-TIME | ROTTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
VISION AND MISSION
The Ocean Cleanup develops advanced technology to extract, prevent, and intercept plastic pollution. In 2018, The Ocean Cleanup initiated the largest cleanup in history by launching the first cleanup system; System 001 ("Wilson").
We are a young organization with a mission to tackle a global problem of an unprecedented scale. What we are aiming for is not easy, and we know we need to push the limits of current technological boundaries to reach our goals. Working at The Ocean Cleanup isn’t for everyone, but we believe that through optimism, perseverance, and ingenuity we can succeed.
We are recruiting a diverse team of bright, high-performing people, who feel comfortable going off the beaten path, and who perceive setbacks merely as necessary obstacles to be taken on the route to great and lasting achievement.
In the coming years, The Ocean Cleanup will start construction of clean-up systems for worldwide deployment. As Head of Manufacturing, you are responsible for the procurement of parts and materials, outsourcing and contracting of fabrication work, perform due diligence in developing partnerships and management of the supply chain. Within the team, manufacturing activities are still in the start-up phase. In preparation for full-scale operations, you will need to build the manufacturing department.
- Drive all manufacturing activities, based on the specifications delivered by the engineering team and logistics supported by the operations team
- Facilitate the continuous product improvement process, especially implementing modularity in design and manufacturing, optimizing outsourcing and regional partnerships
- Liaise with the Project Director / General Manager, setting up efficient purchasing and contracting strategies
- Guide the design team towards improving the product by designing it for optimal serial manufacturing
- Optimize the manufacturing process in order to enjoy the economy of scale, standardization and serial production
- Maintain relationships throughout the supply chain, manage contracts and apply quality assurance
- Successfully implemented and ran manufacturing processes for technical systems and/or equipment on a scale of hundreds per year
- Years of experience in roles that combine manufacturing, procurement, and fabrication, preferably in global industries where hundreds to thousands of machine/units are produced per year, such as the agricultural or automotive industry
- Proven track record in contract management and supply chain management
- Excellent English-language skills, other languages are helpful
- Possess academic-level thinking and communication skills
- Ability to implement structure and discipline, while cooperating with a highly motivated, international and inventive team
- Results-driven and self-motivated, even when faced with adversity and setbacks
- Independent and flexible
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Willing to travel abroad
- Strong personal integrity
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also use this email address to send questions regarding the position.