FULL TIME | ROTTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
VISION AND MISSION
The Ocean Cleanup develops advanced technology to tackle plastic pollution. In 2018, The Ocean Cleanup initiated the largest cleanup in history by launching the first cleanup system; System 001 ("Wilson").
We are a young organization with a mission to tackle a global problem of an unprecedented scale. We push the limits of current technological boundaries. Working at The Ocean Cleanup isn’t for everyone, but we believe that through optimism, perseverance and ingenuity we succeed.
We are recruiting a diverse team of bright, high-performing people, who feel comfortable going off the beaten path and who perceive setbacks merely as necessary obstacles to be taken on the route to great and lasting achievement.
We are now looking for a Hydro Engineer to join a small team of hydrodynamic engineers who are part of the team that reports to the Project Engineer.
- Perform dynamic analyses of the ocean cleanup system with Orcaflex, hand calculations and other tools;
- Perform basic scale model tests;
- Determine laboratory model test requirements and execute tests in specialist facilities;
- Fully understand the ocean cleanup system’s motions and driving forces; using thorough knowledge of first-principle hydrodynamics
- Together with offshore engineers, develop ocean cleanup system concepts, determine feasibility and perform concept selection
- Build numerical models of concepts, perform reality checks, compare outcome of different concepts
- Support front-end engineering and design for ocean cleanup systems
- University degree in mechanical -, or civil engineering or equivalent, with hydrodynamics as specialism
- At least 2-4 years relevant engineering experience, preferably in the offshore or maritime industry
- Experience with design and analysis of (offshore) floating structures is preferred
- Experience with conceptual design and basic engineering
- Balancing hydrodynamics engineering, conceptual thinking and teamworking
- Excellent English language skills
- Creative problem-solver who loves working on complex challenges
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- Good communicator and able to work in a team
- Driven, curious and solutions-oriented
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.