FULL-TIME | DELFT, THE NETHERLANDS
VISION AND MISSION
The Ocean Cleanup develops advanced technology to extract, prevent, and intercept plastic pollution. Our goal is to initiate the largest cleanup in history by 2020.
We are a young organization with a mission to tackle a global problem of an unprecedented scale. What we are aiming for is not easy, and we know we need to push the limits of current technological boundaries to reach our goals. We are passionate about creating awesome things. Working at The Ocean Cleanup isn’t for everyone. Cleaning the oceans is hard. But we believe that through optimism, perseverance and ingenuity we will succeed.
We are recruiting a diverse team of bright, high-performing people, who feel comfortable going off the beaten path, and who perceive setbacks merely as necessary obstacles to be taken on the route to great and lasting achievement.
As Lead Structural & Mechanical Engineer you will be heading the engineering team that analyses and designs the structural & mechanical components of the Ocean Cleanup system. You will report to the project manager Pacific Ocean System.
• Lead the engineering team that designs and analyzes the Pacific Ocean Cleanup system
• With the team, design and analyze the Pacific Ocean Cleanup barrier from a mechanical/structural viewpoint, by numerical modeling, scale testing and full-scale tests
• With the team, design and analyze the extraction system that gets captured plastics out of the water
• Verify outcome of numerical modelling with hand-calculations
• Together with the project team, develop creative cleanup system concepts, determine feasibility and perform concept selection process
• Analyze measurement data from real-life protoypes and pilot systems, and integrate findings in following designs.
• Perform basic engineering analyses and design for floating barrier and sub-systems
• Co-operate with vendors and manufacturers to interactively develop novel sub-systems
• University degree in mechanical, structural, maritime or offshore engineering
• At least 4-6 years relevant engineering experience in the offshore or maritime industry
• Experience with design and analysis of (offshore) floating structures is required
• Experience with conceptual design and basic engineering
• Balances mechanical/structural engineering, conceptual thinking and teamworking
• Leadership experience is required
• Excellent English language skills
• Creative problem-solver who loves working on complex challenges
• Curious, bold and able to learn quickly
• 24/7 start-up mentality, willing to work hard to succeed
• Able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
• At ease managing external stakeholders
• Good communicator and able to work in a team
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also use this email address to send questions regarding the position.