FULL-TIME | ROTTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
VISION AND MISSION
The Ocean Cleanup develops advanced technology to extract, prevent, and intercept plastic pollution. In 2018, The Ocean Cleanup initiated the largest cleanup in history by launching the first cleanup system; System 001 ("Wilson").
We are a young organization with a mission to tackle a global problem of an unprecedented scale. What we are aiming for is not easy, and we know we need to push the limits of current technological boundaries to reach our goals. We are passionate about creating awesome things. Working at The Ocean Cleanup isn’t for everyone, but we believe that through optimism, perseverance and ingenuity we can succeed.
We are recruiting a diverse team of bright, high-performing people, who feel comfortable going off the beaten path, and who perceive setbacks merely as necessary obstacles to be taken on the route to great and lasting achievement.
The Manager International Relations & Business Development will enable fast global scale-up of our innovative technologies to remove plastic debris from the water. She/he will develop clear, attractive deal structures, operating and business models, all based on strong client/partner propositions. Working with a large variety of possible partners, she/he focuses on implementation of system installations before handing over to the operations team that drives the completion of the installation.
- Take a key role in in the development and implementation of an ambitious scale-up plan.
- Leverage personal network and that of The Ocean Cleanup to reach deal making phase with a broad range of partners including government agencies, NGOs and corporations (local and global) across the globe.
- Visit prospect countries and locations, predominantly in, but not limited to, Asia.
- Prioritize and develop opportunities to ensure our ambitious plans and promises are realized.
- Develop cooperation and associated business models with partners that may contribute to the realization of our objectives.
- Manage contract negotiations, set up and manage consortia in liaison with The Ocean Cleanup’s general council.
- Contribute to building a successful business development function that powers a continued largescale expansion of The Ocean Cleanup’s solutions.
- You have at least 10 years working experience; preferably in a powerful, international, commercial role in a technical industry working with partnerships and consortia.University degree, for example, in international relations, environmental sciences, business/public administration.
- You possess academic-level thinking and communication skills.
- You are able to manage a pipeline of opportunities that are in different stages of development, requiring different levels of engagement with partners ranging from establishing initial contact to long term collaboration.
- You have proven your ability to realize extensive contracts with governments, helped by the support of corporations and NGOs and preferably in Asia.
- You have experience with setting up different business models.
- You have excellent English-language skills, other languages (Spanish, French, Asian languages) are helpful.
- You have been exposed to numerous cultures and proven to thrive in such environments.
- You are willing to resist any corrupt or unethical practices.
- You are in the top 10% amongst your peers, in terms of cooperation, taking responsibility, “getting the job done” and project management.
- Global citizen and savvy deal-maker
- High cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Commercially driven
- Prefers long-term commitments over quick wins
- Results-driven, self-motivated
- Entrepreneurial and creative
- You stay positive and constructive despite setbacks
- Willing to travel abroad and on short notice
- Strong personal integrity
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com. You can also use this email address to send questions regarding the position.