FULL-TIME | ROTTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
VISION AND MISSION
The Ocean Cleanup develops advanced technology to extract, prevent, and intercept plastic pollution. In 2018, The Ocean Cleanup initiated the largest cleanup in history by launching the first cleanup system; System 001 ("Wilson"). We are a young organization with a mission to tackle a global problem of an unprecedented scale. What we are aiming for is not easy, and we know we need to push the limits of current technological boundaries to reach our goals. Working at The Ocean Cleanup isn’t for everyone, but we believe that through optimism, perseverance, and ingenuity we can succeed. We are recruiting a diverse team of bright, high-performing people, who feel comfortable going off the beaten path, and who perceive setbacks merely as necessary obstacles to be taken on the route to great and lasting achievement.
We believe that you can only solve a problem if you understand all aspects of it. Therefore, we are looking for an operations officer with a background in waste management who can build our knowledge base and strategies on waste management while assisting in the project management of some of our pilot projects.
- Build a body of knowledge in our organization on waste management in our operational locations
- Use desk research, partners and site visits to learn about waste handling in countries that contribute to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch
- Continue developing strategy around responsible management of the waste we collect in our projects
- Assist the operational rollout by ensuring the best local waste management is available for the waste from our operations
- Initiate and connect external projects through our network to improve the recycling rates of the waste collected
- 5 years of working experience in a role related to waste management, -handling, -research, -policy or similar
- Relevant experience in project management
- A degree (B.a/M.Sc) in a relevant field (environmental sciences, environmental engineering, mechanical engineering or civil engineering.)
- Experience working in emerging markets (Asia, Central America, Africa)
- You are a self-starter with an analytical approach to problem-solving
- You have excellent communication and social skills including a strong cultural awareness and ability to communicate on all levels
- You are curious and willing to travel abroad for site visits on a regular basis
- You have a strong command of the English language, verbal and written
- You are not afraid of a bit of a smelly work environment and dirty boots
- You are intrinsically motivated to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.