FULL TIME | ROTTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
VISION AND MISSION
The Ocean Cleanup develops advanced technology to tackle plastic pollution. In 2018, The Ocean Cleanup initiated the largest cleanup in history by launching the first cleanup system; System 001 ("Wilson").
We are a young organization with a mission to tackle a global problem of an unprecedented scale. We push the limits of current technological boundaries. Working at The Ocean Cleanup isn’t for everyone, but we believe that through optimism, perseverance and ingenuity we succeed.
We are recruiting a diverse team of bright, high-performing people, who feel comfortable going off the beaten path and who perceive setbacks merely as necessary obstacles to be taken on the route to great and lasting achievement.
Our river research team aims to provide global estimates of presence and distribution of riverine plastic debris using a combination of (1) fundamental experiments, (2) targeted fieldwork and (3) modelling exercises. Understanding riverine plastic composition, transport, sources and sinks helps us to better predict the inflow of plastic waste into the ocean. The team's field assessments vary in length and complexity. The team plans to cover most continents in 2019.
We are looking for a full-time data analyst / junior scientist to work on (1) improving consistency in the collected data by our team and partners, (2) design a data analysis and visualization framework, and (3) develop tools to facilitate better data collection.
- Evaluate current measurement protocols and collected field data
- Help to develop tools and protocols for more consistent data collection
- Setup an easy-to-use data analysis and visualization framework
- Perform data analysis of global riverine plastic data
- Assist in planning and (occasionally) executing fieldwork missions
- Co-author scientific publications
- MSc degree in Environmental Sciences, Hydrology, Geosciences or similar
- Experience with collection, analysis and visualization of environmental data
- Preferably experience with working with unconventional data
- You have experience with developing tools for data collection and analysis
- Experience with writing scientific publications
- Accuracy and savviness
- Result-driven and self-motivated, even when faced with adversity and setbacks
- You also know when to ask for help
- You are digitally practical
- Strong command of English, verbal and written
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.