FULL TIME | DELFT, THE NETHERLANDS
VISION AND MISSION
The Ocean Cleanup develops advanced technology to extract, prevent, and intercept plastic pollution. Our goal is to initiate the largest cleanup in history by 2018.
We are a young organization with a mission to tackle a global problem of an unprecedented scale. What we are aiming for is not easy, and we know we need to push the limits of current technological boundaries to reach our goals. Working at The Ocean Cleanup isn’t for everyone, but we believe that through optimism, perseverance and ingenuity we can succeed.
We are recruiting a diverse team of bright, high-performing people, who feel comfortable going off the beaten path, and who perceive setbacks merely as necessary obstacles to be taken on the route to great and lasting achievement.
The Senior Project Engineer will play a vital role within the team and is responsible to lead the engineering and on- & offshore execution preparations of the Pacific Ocean Cleanup System. Our first Ocean Cleanup system will soon be deployed, and we need to ensure continued learning, while simultaneously optimizing and improving the technology involved. This will require a multi-tasker who can combine implementing lessons learned and finding creative solutions, possibly not considered before. The Senior Project Engineer reports to the Project Manager.
- Coordination of lessons learned throughout the project and developing these into recommended improvements for future applications
- Executing design from concept to detailed engineering, based on fast, iterative design processes
- Balancing meeting deadlines, deliverables and achieving critical mission objectives within a context of pioneering and uncertainty
- Delivery of quality engineering solutions within agreed project objectives
- Preparation and maintenance of detailed engineering, Basis of Design and planning
- Coordination and supervision of the engineering team from concept design through to the operational phase of the project
- Ensuring that all designs and procedures are based on a “safe and environmental friendly design approach”
- Safeguarding that all designs and procedures are checked and approved within the agreed time frame
- Master’s degree in mechanical, structural, maritime or offshore engineering
- At least 7 years’ relevant experience as project engineer, preferably within a maritime environment and complex and schedule driven projects
- Experience with design and installation engineering of floating structures or offshore installations is preferred
- Experience with conceptual design and basic engineering, either in structural engineering, hydrodynamics or both; with knowledge of Orcaflex and Femap modelling preferred
- Excellent English-language skills
- Performs well under pressure
- Disciplined and creative
- Effective communicator
- Strong organizational skills
- Energetic with a sensitivity for the demands of the team
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Driven, curious and solutions-oriented
- Willing to travel abroad
- Strong personal integrity
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also use this email address to send questions regarding the position.