FULL TIME | ROTTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
VISION AND MISSION
The Ocean Cleanup develops advanced technology to tackle plastic pollution. In 2018, The Ocean Cleanup initiated the largest cleanup in history by launching the first cleanup system; System 001 ("Wilson").
We are a young organization with a mission to tackle a global problem of an unprecedented scale. What we are aiming for is not easy, and we know we need to push the limits of current technological boundaries to reach our goals. We are passionate about creating awesome things. Working at The Ocean Cleanup isn’t for everyone, but we believe that through optimism, perseverance and ingenuity we can succeed.
We are recruiting a diverse team of bright, high-performing people, who feel comfortable going off the beaten path, and who perceive setbacks merely as necessary obstacles to be taken on the route to great and lasting achievement.
The Ocean Cleanup is now looking for a Structural Engineer, to design and analyze the ocean cleanup system.
- Design and analyze the ocean cleanup system from a mechanical/structural viewpoint, by numerical modeling, scale testing and full-scale tests
- Design and analyze the extraction system that extracts the captured plastics from the water
- Verify the outcome of numerical modelling with hand-calculations
- Develop creative cleanup system concepts, determine feasibility and perform concept selection
- Process, analyze and evaluate collected measurement data from prototypes and pilot systems, and integrate findings in following designs
- Perform basic- and detailed engineering analyses and design for floaters and sub-systems
- University degree in mechanical, structural, maritime or offshore engineering
- At least 2-4 years relevant engineering experience, preferably in the offshore construction or maritime industry
- Experience with design and analysis of (offshore) floating structures is preferred
- Experience with conceptual design and basic engineering
- Balances mechanical/structural engineering, conceptual thinking and teamworking
- Excellent English language skills
- Knowledge of and experience in construction work using plastic materials would be considered beneficial
- Creative problem-solver who loves working on complex challenges
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- Good communicator and able to work in a team
- Driven, curious and solutions-oriented
Please apply by sending your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.